Consider an Electric Cooperative Career
Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. (KEPCo) is a not-for-profit generation and transmission (G&T) cooperative headquartered in Topeka, Kansas. It is KEPCo's responsibility to procure an adequate and reliable power supply for its 16 distribution rural electric cooperative Members at a reasonable cost.
KEPCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KEPCo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING POSITION
KANSAS ELECTRIC POWER COOPERATIVE, INC.
Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. (KEPCo) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Executive Director of Engineering.
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Reporting Relationship: Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Primary Accountabilities: The primary objective of the Executive Director of Engineering is to manage the engineering functions and department within KEPCo, including the planning, organizing, budgeting, staffing, directing and controlling the design and technical support functions of KEPCo. This position also has primary responsibility for KEPCo Services Inc. (KSI), a KEPCo subsidiary that provides engineering and technical services for Member cooperatives and others.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Membership in a professional business organization is preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of appropriate experience in the design and engineering of facilities and equipment in the electric utility industry. Management experience is highly desirable.
- A license to practice engineering in the State of Kansas is required.
- Valid Kansas Driver’s License is required.
- Must be familiar with generally accepted electric utility engineering and operational activities.
- Should be familiar with RUS Engineering and Operations methods and procedures or be able to develop necessary background in short period of time.
- Must be computer literate and able to operate business and engineering software.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of KEPCo.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to support the goals, plans, and programs of KEPCo.
- Possess the necessary personal characteristics that make an employee a productive team member, including: high integrity, good personal habits, and regular attendance at work.
- Ability to gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
KEPCo Power Supply and Delivery:
- Provides design and engineering support for KEPCo owned or operated generation, transmission, EMS/SCADA, metering, communication or other power supply facilities, as required.
- Communicates, negotiates and coordinates technical issues with KEPCo’s power suppliers and transmission providers to insure the safe, efficient and reliable delivery of power to KEPCo’s Members.
- Plans and coordinates new delivery points and the capacity needs of existing delivery points with KEPCo’s power suppliers, transmission providers and KEPCo Member cooperatives.
KEPCo Services, Inc. (KSI):
- Establishes, maintains and communicates the objectives and mission of KSI.
- Markets KSI and develops and administers KSI budgets and cost controls, including the establishment of appropriate KSI hourly rates and ensuring that the fees outlined in KSI proposals are reasonable for the services provided while covering the costs of KSI labor, material and overheads.
- Reviews the overall technical adequacy of all KSI projects including ensuring compliance with good engineering practices and other appropriate rules and standards, as applicable.
- Communicates and coordinates the schedule for completion of KSI projects in a manner that meets the client’s needs and efficiently and effectively utilizes the resources available to KSI.
- Establishes the procedures and process controls to ensure KSI projects are completed efficiently and with appropriate quality controls.
- Develops periodic reports for the KSI Board of Directors regarding the status and performance of KSI and for attending their meetings and responding to questions and concerns of the board.
- Understands, complies and communicates the Kansas State Board of Technical Professions statutes, rules and regulations to ensure that KSI retains its Certificate of Authorization.
- Maintains an individual license to practice Professional Engineering including meeting continuing education requirements and the development and oversight of engineers-in-training.
- Monitors and evaluates computer, software and other equipment needs of KSI including on-going software support and maintenance agreements.
- Coordinates KSI projects with appropriate government agencies including but not limited to the RUS, CFC, KDWP, USFW, KSHS, USACE and SCS as needed and required.
- Selects and uses sub-contractors and consultants to support the completion of KSI projects where necessary and appropriate.
- Hires, manages, trains, and retains the Engineering Department employees within KEPCo’s Board and Administrative policies.
- Develops and administers Engineering Department budgets and cost control within the Department.
- Attends Board of Trustees, Member and other meetings, as directed.
- Performs other duties as requested or assigned.
- Ability to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Must be able to work for extended periods of time without being fatigued.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
- Work is performed both in a private office and outside in the field. Must be willing to travel in state and out of state as necessary to meet job requirements.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
KEPCo provides a competitive salary, pension plan, and benefits package including health and dental insurance and 401K.
APPLY NOW: through HR Partners